We are delighted to announce that England Golf and the R&A have awarded Great Lever and Farnworth Golf Club ‘Women In Golf Charter’ status, after we submitted a detailed document to them explaining our intentions to help grow female golf participation at our golf club.
The R&A Women in Golf Charter
A commitment to a more inclusive culture within golf!
We, Great Lever and Farnworth GC call on everyone involved in golf to play their part in developing a culture that values women’s involvement in every aspect of the sport, from participating to pursuing a career.
- Our aim is to increase the number of women and girls playing and working in golf.
- To achieve this goal and to enable women to flourish throughout golf, we recognise the need for a fundamental shift in culture. There is a clear ethical need for change and the potential economic benefits of growing the sport through more women and girls playing are substantial.
- The R&A commits to playing a leading role in this process and to working with affiliates, partners and the wider golf industry towards achieving this goal.
- In signing this Charter, we Great Lever and Farnworth GC commit to making tangible efforts to develop a welcoming and inspiring environment for women. We will do more to attract women into golf, to remain, and to have rewarding careers.
- Is a statement of intent from the golf industry and Great Lever and Farnworth GC, to unite and to focus gender balance at all levels
- Commits us all to supporting measures to increase the number of women, girls and families playing golf
- Calls for positive action to encourage women to pursue careers in all areas of the sport
- Recognises the need for change that creates an inclusive environment within golf and our golf club
Signatories commit to activate this Charter by:
- Developing and implementing an internal strategy for enhancing gender balance at every level
- Establishing senior management responsibility and accountability for gender balance and inclusion, which is discussed and reviewed at committee/board level with Great Lever and Farnworth GC
- Strongly advocating more women and girls playing and working in golf.
- Working with key stakeholders to develop and embed a more inclusive culture.
- Promoting the Charter and our goal of encouraging more women and girls to play golf and work in golf.
How we at Great Lever and Farnworth GC Plan to achieve this
- Commit to maintain a 33% female representation on our Board of Directors by actively promoting these positions linked to appropriate role descriptors that are not gender specific. The Lady Captain role will be added as a counsel role.
- Recruit more ladies/girls into our club and increase this membership base
- Create a formal mentorship scheme for any person who is new to golf
- Have designated Champions/Mentors within the club who can assist and support new participants and members and who sits on the committee
- To capture all relevant data that shows how we are implementing and succeeding with the charter
- To recruit a charter champion
- As part of SafeGolf we have appointed a Club Welfare Officer.
We are passionate about every one of those commitments.
We look forward to welcoming all ages and genders to Great Lever and Farnworth Golf Club and of course, increasing numbers of female golfers both young and old!
Melissa Horrocks – Charter Champion
To view the Women In Golf Charter in full please click here